The grocery store had leeks and sweet potatoes on special this week, and they were just sitting side by side like they were meant to be together. This, I thought, would be the perfect opportunity to use that sweet potato and leek soup recipe that's been stowed away. I got the recipe from a friend, and never got around to making it...until now, that is.
When I brought the groceries into my car, the aroma of the leeks filled the vehicle up quickly, which made me even more excited to make my soup. This is a very flavourful soup that tastes just like what it is made up of: sweet potato and leek. Serve this with a warm baguette, and you're set.
This recipe serves 6 - 8.
Sweet Potato and Leek Soup
- 8 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 pounds of sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 leeks, cleaned and thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 3 Tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine the sweet potatoes, leeks, chives, salt, pepper, and broth in a pot and bring to a boil
2. Reduce the heat and simmer until the vegetables are soft (approx 30 - 45 minutes)
3. Remove from heat and let the soup cool
4. Transfer the soup mixture to a blender and purée
5. Re-heat the soup on a low setting and serve