This Greek orzo salad is a great example, and I find the nuttiness of the toasted pine nuts really complements the taste of the melted feta cheese. I had this salad at BB's house a few weekends ago, and adjusted the recipe to my taste.
This recipe makes 4-6 servings.
Greek Orzo Salad
- 2 cups of uncooked orzo pasta
- 1/2 cup of red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup of sliced kalamata olives
- 2 cups of Italian parsley, loosely packed and finely chopped
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, chopped
- 3 hot house tomatoes, chopped
- 200g light feta
- 2 Tbsp mint, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of pine nuts, toasted
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- extra virgin olive oil to drizzle
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the pasta until al dente, and drain.
2. Crumble the feta into a large bowl. Add the pasta, and mix until cheese has melted into the pasta. Drizzle in the olive oil to prevent the pasta mixture from drying out too much. Set aside and let it cool.
3. When the pasta mixture has cooled, add in the tomatoes, onions, olives, cucumbers, parsley, and mint. Add in the toasted pine nuts, lemon juice, and salt + pepper to taste. Mix well and serve.
I may be travelling in San Diego, but I scheduled this post so you wouldn't get lonely ;-)