I know I said I was going to post my Viva Pops post next, but I wanted to share this kick a** dal recipe before the weather becomes too hot for a hearty dish like this.
I wanted to cook something hearty but light. Although it is June, and summer is around the corner, it has been rainy here in Ottawa. This is a healthy dish that is full of flavor, and is great for cool and rainy days.
I got this recipe from my mother-in-law, and my friend K perfected it by adding cauliflower. Even my sister, who has some weird abhorrence of dal, loves this dish!
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Red Lentil Dal
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 4 cups of cauliflower florets
- 3 bay leaves
- 5 Tbsp low fat plain yogurt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 (796ml, 28 fl. oz) can whole peeled tomatoes with juices, chopped
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 cup of red lentils
- 1/2 cup coriander + 2 Tbsp coriander, finely chopped
- cayenne pepper to taste (I used 1/4 tsp)
- salt + pepper to taste
1. On medium heat, sautee the oil, garlic, ginger, and onion in a pot until the onions are translucent.
2. Add the tomatoes, 2 Tbsp of coriander, bay leaves, and all of the spices into the pot, and cook until the tomatoes are crushed. This will be approximately 10 minutes.
3. Turn the heat down to simmer. Add the lentils to the tomatoes, and cook with the lid on for 20 minutes.
4. Add in the cauliflower and cook with the lid on for 25 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender.
5. Add in the rest of the coriander, and cook for 5 minutes. Add more salt + pepper if needed. Turn off the heat. Remove the bay leaves and discard.
6. Right before serving while still warm, stir in the yogurt. This step makes all the difference.
Enjoy this dish as is, or with your favorite bread!