I've been eating out a lot! It's not just lately, it's been the last 7 months. Hmm...right around the time I started my food blog. What a coincidence. Well, my friends, it has finally caught up to me. I don't eat in moderation anymore. When I go out to restaurants, I like to order a few appetizers + a main + dessert. It doesn't matter if it's not good for me, or if I don't have the room in my stomach, I just want to try it all.
I'm going to start eating healthier for the summer. This means more cooking at home, which means more recipes.
Here is an awesome veggie soup that is good for all occasions. I eat this when I want to cleanse my body, or when I am sick with a cold. It is packed with nothing but goodness. In the summer time, I like to eat this cold like you would gazpacho.
This recipe makes 4 servings.
Chunky Vegetable and Barley Soup- 1 (796ml, 28 fl. oz) can whole peeled tomatoes with juices, chopped
- 3 cups of water
- 1/4 cup of cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup of curly parsley, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 leek (light green part only), chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 cup of barley
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric
- salt and pepper to taste
- extra virgin olive oil
Method1. On high heat, heat a large pot with some extra virgin olive oil, and sautee the onion, garlic, and turmeric until the onions are translucent.
2. Turn heat down to medium. Add the tomatoes, water, cilantro, parsley, scallions, and leek, and cook for 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Turn the heat down to simmer. Add celery and carrots and cook for 20 minutes with the lid on.
4. Add the barley, and cook for 30 minutes with the lid on, stirring occasionally. Add more salt and pepper if required.
If you prefer a more watery soup, use less barley.