This salad is beautiful, isn't it? It was made with love...lots of love. This is a great refreshing salad that is perfect for that potluck party or picnic lunch this summer.
One thing I started doing was adding chayote to my salads. It is a very neutral ingredient with little taste and lotsa crunch. I thought it would perfectly balance the soft squishy beans, and I was right.
My little grandma, who refuses to eat anything but Chinese food, even wrote down the recipe. That says a lot! Now go and try it for yourself.
This recipe yields 6-8 servings.
Mango and Bean Salad- 1 can (540 mL, 19 fl oz.) of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (540 mL, 19 fl oz.) of small Mexican red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (341 mL, 12 fl. oz.) of whole corn kernels, drained
- 1 chayote, cut in small cubes
- 1 red pepper, cut into small pieces
- 1 large semi-ripe green mango, cut into small pieces
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 limes, juice
- 1/2 tsp of dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of honey
Method1. In a large bowl, combine the beans, corn, chayote, red pepper, mango, scallion, cilantro, and jalapeno.
2. In a separate bowl, make the dressing. Combine all of the dressing ingredients, and mix well. Pour the dressing into the larger bowl and mix all of the ingredients together. Refrigerate and serve.