I've never been a huge fan of chicken. Always found the meat a little boring. I find it doesn't have enough taste to stand on its own, which in my books is bleh. It's rare for me to find a good chicken recipe, and when I do find one, I need to spread the good news!
The flavors from the almond, cheese, and herbs in this recipe really compliment the chicken. What I love most about this dish is that the chicken comes out juicy every time...never dry!
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Feta, Tomato and Almond Stuffed Chicken
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 6 slices of white bread, crust cut off
- 1/4 cup of almonds, crushed
- 90 grams of feta, crumbled
- 2 scallions, roughly chopped, green part only
- 4 sun dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2-3 egg whites
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350F/175C. Create a pocket in each chicken breast by slicing the thickest part of each breast lengthwise. Do not slice the breast all the way through. Leave about a 1/2 inch. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the inside and outside of each breast. Set aside.
2. In a food processor, pulse the bread, 1 Tbsp of crushed almonds, some salt + pepper for 30 seconds until even bread crumbs are formed. Place the bread crumbs onto a large plate.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine the feta, sun dried tomatoes, scallions, and the rest of the crushed almonds and mix well with a fork. Place the egg whites onto a large plate.
4. Stuff and bread the chicken breasts. Spoon 1/4 of the feta mixture into the pocket of the breast, cover the entire surface of the chicken breast with egg white, and then roll the breast into the bread crumbs until surface is covered. Place the chicken breast into a 9x13 baking dish, and repeat for the remaining breasts.
5. Bake for 40 minutes uncovered. Serve hot.