This is an awesome side dish recipe if you're looking for something hearty, comforting and healthy. I love the fresh tarragon in this dish, mainly because I don't get to use it very often. This recipe makes a good amount so this is a great dish for a dinner party.
This recipes yields 6-8 servings.
Slow Cooked Tarragon Carrots and Potatoes
- 2 lb carrots, peeled and cut into 2-3 inch sticks
- 15 little potatoes, quartered
- 2 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 Tbsp fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zest
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp grainy mustard
- olive oil
1. In a large casserole pot, combine olive oil and 1/2 tsp salt and saute carrots for 10-15 minutes. They should be just cooked but not overly soft. Remove from pot. Set aside.
2. In the same casserole pot, combine some more olive oil and 1/2 tsp salt and saute garlic and potatoes for 5 minutes. Add broth and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are cooked.
3. Add the carrots, frozen peas, spinach and zest until spinach has wilted. Approximately 2-3 minutes.
4. In a bowl mix lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, dijon mustard and grainy mustard. Pour it into the vegetables and mix well. Serve hot.