This is not your regular berry fruit drink. But then again, I don't think any recipe on this site is regular. This berry shake has added spices like turmeric, cinnamon and ginger that contain added health benefits. You may be skeptical about it tasting good, but trust me, it is! Another great thing about shakes is that it's a great way to sneak in ingredients that you may not necessarily have on a regular basis. This is a great tactic for your the little kids in the family...and big kids too! The ginger may be a bit too much for some so I have listed that as optional.
Turmeric and cinnamon are considered superfoods, which simply means that it has a high nutrient content and disease-fighting agents. Turmeric, cinnamon and ginger have all been identified as cancer-fighting ingredients, along with a long list of other health benefits like its anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and immune-enhancing properties.
This recipe yields 1 1/4 cups.
Spiced Berry Breakfast Shake
- 1 cup of frozen mixed berries, slightly thawed
- 1 ripe banana, frozen and peeled
- 1/2 cup of almond milk
- 4-6 Tbsp of rolled oats or your favourite muesli (less will give a smoother consistency)
- 4 Brazil nuts
- 2 Tbsp of flax oil
- 1/8 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp of turmeric
- 1 small nob of peeled ginger, approx 1 inch x 1 inch (optional)
1. Place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour shake into a cup and enjoy.