Tomato season is peeking right around the corner. Nothing beats eating tomatoes fresh, at its prime time.
Fresh summer tomatoes tossed in a cold, healthy, flavorful salad is my favorite way to eat them. I especially love salads that taste better the next day because it removes the hassle of meal planning. I'm always on the go, so salads that keep work well with a busy lifestyle.
This light orzo salad is great as a meal or as a side dish.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Heirloom Tomato Orzo Salad with Feta
- 2 cups of heirloom tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup of orzo pasta, uncooked
- 1/2 cup of red onion, finely chopped
- 150g feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 Tbsp of sherry vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp of dried basil
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp of flaky sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- extra virgin olive oil
1. Cook the orzo pasta until al dente. Follow the package instructions to cook the pasta. Drain the pasta.
2. In a large bowl, drizzle a generous amount of olive oil over the pasta and mix well. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate for 2 hours and serve cold.