While I was laying in bed one night, I thought to myself "ya know what, crab cakes would go really well with blue cheese".
Well, a few months later, I finally made it a reality. It took me a while but I finally did it. One warning to you though: please make sure you like blue cheese before you go and try this recipe. Blue cheese is an acquired taste, and it would be a shame to waste money and effort on these crab cakes to find out you don't really like blue cheese.
If you're not a blue cheese fan, go ahead and substitute for a cheese you do like. I'm sure it would be just as tasty.
This recipe yields about 10 crab cakes.
Baked Blue Cheese Crab Cakes
- 450g of lump crab meat
- 125g of a mild blue cheese, crumbled into small pieces
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 small red pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup of dried bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp old style grainy mustard
- 1 tsp of smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp of vegetable oil
- dash of salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 375F/190C.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients and mix well. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. With your hands, shape the crab mixture into hockey puck shapes (approximately 3 inch diameter and 1 inch thick).
3. Place the crab cakes onto the baking sheet, setting them approximately 1 inch apart. Bake for 20 minutes. Set aside until cheese hardens a little bit. Serve warm. To add a bit more taste and color, you can pan fry the crab cakes before serving. I didn't bother, to keep it on the healthier side, but I contemplated it.